Marriage License, Marriages and Certified Copies
Obtain a marriage license.A marriage license is a public record, in order to obtain a marriage license, provide:
(A) a completed license application; and
(B) payment of $45 ($35 for the license and $10 for the certificate – cash or money order) (the license fee will be waived if the applicants’ original Domestic Partnership Certificate is presented at the time of application)
Determine who can perform a marriage ceremony.Pursuant to the "Marriage Officiant Amendment Act of 2013", the following persons or organizations are authorized or are candidates for authorization to perform marriages in the District of Columbia:
(1) a judge or retired judge of any court of record;
(2) the Clerk of the Court or such deputy clerks of the Courts as may, in writing be designated by the Clerk and approved by the Chief Judge of the Court;
(3) a minister, priest, rabbi, or authorized person of any religious denomination or society ($35 fee & application required);
(4) for any religious society which does not by its own custom require the intervention of a minister for the celebration of marriages, a marriage may be solemnized in the manner prescribed and practiced in that religious society, with the license issued to, and returns to be made by, a person appointed by the religious society for that purpose ($35 fee & application required);
(5) a civil celebrant ($35 fee & application required);
(6) a temporary officiant ($25 fee & application required);
(7) Members of the Council;
(8) the Mayor of the District of Columbia; or
(9) the parties to the marriage (both parties to the marriage must apply in person with a vaild government issued identification).
All officiants are required to be at least 18 years old in order to perform a marriage ceremony. Further information can be obtained directly form the DC Code § 46-406.
Schedule a civil ceremony to take place at the courthouse.The Court will arrange for a court clerk to perform a civil ceremony and this service is free of charge. The civil wedding calendar is generally booked 2 to 3 weeks in advance. Please apply and confirm a date and time for your civil wedding with the court prior to finalizing your wedding plans.
Obtain a copy of a marriage certificate.In order to obtain a certified copy of a marriage license, please provide the following:
(A) the full names of the parties (including spouse’s former name);
(B) date/year of the marriage - if known; and
(C) payment ($10.00 for the certified marriage certificate and $0.50 cents for each plain copy of the marriage record).