Changes to Landlord and Tenant Branch Processes - Effective May 16,2016,
NEW!Changes to Landlord and Tenant Branch Processes - Effective May 16,2016, the Landlord and Tenant Branch will implement changes to its business processes to minimize delays for court participants and enhance efficient case processing. Please click here for detailed information.
How do I file a case regarding my lease agreement?
- The Landlord and Tenant Branch handles all actions for the possession of real property. The Housing Conditions Calendar handles requests from a tenant that the court enter an order requiring the landlord to repair the tenant’s rental unit.
Hours of Operation:Mondays-Fridays: 8:30a.m.-5:00p.m.
Wednesdays: 6:30p.m.- 8:00p.m. (protective order payments only)
Court Building B
510 4th Street N.W., Room 110
Washington, D.C. 20001
**Note: The Landlord Tenant Branch experiences very high call volumes, so there may be a delay until your call can be handled. Please feel free to click here to use our Live Chat option, which is available 8:30 to 5pm Monday through Friday (during very busy times, there may be a wait, so you can leave an inquiry which will be answered by 10am the next day).
Information: (202) 879-4879
Recording: (202) 879-1152
- The Resource Center provides free legal information to both unrepresented landlords and unrepresented tenants who have residential housing disputes.
LTRC Volunteer Attorneys can...
- Help self-represented persons understand court proceedings
- Assist self-represented persons prepare pleadings
- Provide information on how to obtain continuances and retain counsel
- Make referrals to legal service providers in appropriate cases
- Inform low-income litigants of financial and other social service resources that might be available and refer them to the appropriate resources