Changes to Landlord and Tenant Branch Processes - Effective May 16,2016,
NEW!New Interactive Telephone System – Effective Monday, January 30, 2017 a new interactive voice response telephone system will be implemented to provide 24/7 access to real time case information. Please click here for detailed information.
Changes to Landlord and Tenant Branch Trials - Effective Monday, January 30, 2017, the time for trials will change from 11:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Please click here for detailed information.
How do I file a case regarding my lease agreement?
- The Landlord and Tenant Branch handles all actions for the possession of real property. The Housing Conditions Calendar handles requests from a tenant that the court enter an order requiring the landlord to repair the tenant’s rental unit.
Hours of Operation:Mondays-Fridays: 8:30a.m.-5:00p.m.
Wednesdays: 6:30p.m.- 8:00p.m. (protective order payments only)
Court Building B
510 4th Street N.W., Room 110
Washington, D.C. 20001
**Note: The Landlord Tenant Branch experiences very high call volumes, so there may be a delay until your call can be handled. Please feel free to click here to use our Live Chat option, which is available 8:30 to 5pm Monday through Friday (during very busy times, there may be a wait, so you can leave an inquiry which will be answered by 10am the next day).
Information: (202) 879-4879
Recording: (202) 879-1152
- The Resource Center provides free legal information to both unrepresented landlords and unrepresented tenants who have residential housing disputes.
LTRC Volunteer Attorneys can...
- Help self-represented persons understand court proceedings
- Assist self-represented persons prepare pleadings
- Provide information on how to obtain continuances and retain counsel
- Make referrals to legal service providers in appropriate cases
- Inform low-income litigants of financial and other social service resources that might be available and refer them to the appropriate resources