Child Protection Mediation ProgramChild protection mediation is free. All child abuse cases are mediated. Mediation is not held in the court room. Mediation is about settling the court case. The reason for mediation is to help the child and parents. The mediator is not a judge. The mediator does not take sides.
- At mediation everyone sits together. Everyone can ask questions. Everyone talks about how to settle the case. Parents talk about their child. Parents can ask for family help. Lawyers talk about what the parents need. Lawyers talk about why the case is in court. The social worker talks about what the child needs.
Topics that may be discussed in CPM include:
- What the child wants
- Any services for the family
- Returning the child home
- Other people who can care for the child
- What will happen in a trial
- How to settle the case
How do I ...Prepare for Mediation:
- Mediation lasts two hours.
- Arrive 15 minutes before scheduled time.
- Bring something to eat.
- Do not bring children.
- Think about your questions.
- Talk to your attorney.
- Talk to your social worker.
- Come by Metro - Red Line to Judiciary Square, take the 4th Street exit.
Child Protection Mediation Program 2
Time of Mediation:Days: Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Location: Superior Court Building C, 410 E Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20001
How to reach us:General Information: (202) 879-1549
Program Fax: (202) 879-9458